Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Restaurant Week in DC; 701 Penn

Let me just say this: I have eaten at some wonderful restaurants. Som

e very upscale and very classy places. Just because a place is upscale does not in any way mean the food is good. I’ve been disappointed a time or two.

This week is Restaurant Week in DC. Lots of cities have Restaurant week, it’s a good opportunity to try out a sample menu from a nice place. Here, restaurant week lunch is $20.15 and dinner

s at $30.15. Considering these places the normal price can run two

or three times that, it’s an awesome opportunity.

A few friends and I went to 701 Penn this week and enjoyed a lovely experience. The décor is really my taste, browns, pale blues, really perfectly put together. A

nd the wait staff was really top notch, can’t sa enough good things about them.

For starters I ordered the crispy calamari salad, which was fantastic. Out of the group, we decided my app rocked the house. One of my friends ordered the fennel soup, and another the baby spinach salad with pears and bacon…which was also yummy.


Second course I ordered a poached cod served on a bed of lentils, baby green beans, red peppers, a few sliced grapes and a white wine reduction foam…which I was terribly excited to try since on Top Chef they put foam on everything. One of my friends had the fried chicken with grits and collards, I had a sample of it…wow. Actually we all wished we’d had that. The cod was good but it wasn’t so heavenly as their fried chicken.

Dessert was a brown butter brownie but it was more like a blondie with a soft chocolate ganache on top and sesame seed brittle on top of that. It was sooo yumm. One of my coworkers ordered a lemon cheesecake topped with a lemon gelee and a meringue…something like that.

Overall, I’d definitely go back to try their regular menu instead of the pared down Restaurant Week menu. Definitely worth a trip back.

No comments:

Post a Comment